Topic Sentence: A lottery is a chance game where people enter for a prize that they want. 1. Detail: The title of Shirley Jackson’s short story is The Lottery so readers think that is what this story will be about.
What is the topic sentence of The Lottery by Shirley Jackson?
A one-sentence summary of “The Lottery” might go as follows: The “winner” of a small farming village’s annual lottery is sacrificed for the good of the crops. Superstition leads a small farming village to conduct a yearly lottery in order to make a human sacrifice.
What are 3 examples of a topic sentence?
Examples of Topic Sentence:
- In a paragraph about a summer vacation: My summer vacation at my grandparents’ farm was filled with hard work and fun.
- In a paragraph about school uniforms: School uniforms would help us to feel more unity as a student body.
- In a paragraph about how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich:
What is the main argument of The Lottery?
In the short story The Lottery, Shirley Jackson argues that all people, regardless of how civilized they may seem, are capable of great evil by contrasting seemingly pleasant and relatable details of the town with the shocking barbarity of their tradition.
How do you use two in a sentence?
Two sentence example
- They had two adopted children already. …
- Two children, brother and sister, were on their way to school. …
- I worked with him for two years before I discovered who he really was. …
- So she called her two sons. …
- He doesn’t need two nannies does he? …
- The next moment two bees flew eagerly in.
How do you identify a topic sentence?
Generally, the topic sentence appears at the beginning of the paragraph. It is often the paragraph’s very first sentence. A paragraph’s topic sentence must be general enough to express the paragraph’s overall subject.
What are some good topic sentence starters?
Below is a list of possible sentence starters, transitional and other words that may be useful. This essay discusses … … is explored … … is defined … The definition of … will be given … is briefly outlined … … is explored … The issue focused on …. … is demonstrated … … is included …
What is the mood of The Lottery?
In ‘The Lottery,’ the mood begins as light and cheerful, but shifts to tense and ominous.
Who is the antagonist in The Lottery?
Tessie Hutchinson is the protagonist in “The Lottery”. The lottery itself is the antagonist.
Why are the children happy in The Lottery?
Why are the children happy? They have won the lottery. Their family has been chosen for the lottery. This is the town’s final lottery.